When it comes to car repair and maintenance, most of us overlook the exhaust. The fact remains, though, that it is of paramount importance because it gets rid of the harmful fumes. It keeps the engine running smoothly and without hiccups. If your exhaust system fails, the entire engine can come crashing down because the fumes won’t have an escape. That’s not all, a below par exhaust system will reduce fuel economy and increase emissions.
So, it is best to check the exhaust every now and then for signs of wear and tear. Some of the popular signs are:
- Check engine light is ON
- You hear rattling noises
- Fuel efficiency has taken a hit
- Your car is vibrating
- Exhaust noises are louder than usual
If you experience any of these, it is time to upgrade. Those who have a Mustang GT are in luck because this article is dedicated to their needs. Here, we have curated our favorites just for you. So, without further delay, let’s jump right in.
Best exhaust for Mustang GT
Our experts have tried, tested, and loved the following exhaust systems. And, we are sure you will too!
1. DNA Motoring – CatBack Exhaust System
The DNA Motoring Exhaust System has been built for Ford Mustang GT from 1996 to 2004. If you have a compatible model, there’s no reason why you should look any further. Why do we say so? Go through its features to find out:
- The exhaust system is made of T-304 stainless steel, which is of very high quality. It also has mandrel-bends that are computerized. These lend more durability and strength to the system.
- It promises to increase horsepower of the vehicle along with the torque.
- The exhaust produces a deep and aggressive sound and the gas flow is extremely smooth.
- It has a dual muffler design with diagonal muffler tips.
- The inlet size of the piping is 2.5 inches OD and the piping diameter is 2.5 inches OD as well.
2. FlowMaster 817516 Exhaust System – Mustang 11-12
Do you have a Mustang GT 2011 or 2012 model? The FlowMaster Exhaust System has been designed for you. Below are reasons why we recommend it:
- It comes with all the hardware and the hangers needed for quick installation. The whole process shouldn’t take you longer than a couple of hours.
- Its mandrel-bent tubing is made out of stainless steel and promises great strength.
- The exhaust note is quite aggressive and strong.
- The tips are also made out of stainless steel and measure around 4 inches.
- The exhaust pipes are dyno-tuned to deliver the best possible performance.
3. Borla Aggressive Rear Section Exhaust System
The Borla Exhaust System for Mustang GT is known to be aggressive and durable. It has been specifically designed for 4.6L AT/MT RWD and comes with the following features:
- The exhaust pipes have a single rounded angle cut.
- They are made out of high quality stainless steel (300 series).
- The tips measure 4 inches. They are all rounded.
- They work on the ATAK technology that ensures a loud noise during operation. But rest assured, the sound is well within the allowed limits in all states.
- They are easy to install and come with all the required hardware.
4. Corsa CatBack Exhaust
If you don’t mind spending a few extra bucks on your new exhaust system, do check the Corsa CatBack Exhaust. It is on the expensive side of the spectrum but manufacturers say that its features do justice to it. Let’s see if that’s true:
- It has been designed for Mustang GT 5.0L 2015 and 2016 models.
- The exhaust system works on Reflective Sound Cancellation (RSC) technology and has patented no drone capacity. There’s no drone while cruising.
- It is custom tuned and has an aggressive exhaust note.
- It has a stainless steel construction (304), making it very strong and durable.
- The exhaust has the capability of improving performance and the sound choice does not affect this boost.
5. Borla 140458 CatBack Exhaust System
Yes, Borla has made another appearance but with another excellent product for Mustang GT 4.6L AT/MT, 2-door (rear wheel drive). Let’s quickly gloss through its biggest features:
- It is made out of stainless steel (300 series), which is of extremely high quality and strength.
- It has 2 rounded tips measuring 4 inches each.
- The exhaust pipes are made with just one rolled angle cut.
- The emissions and sound it produces are within legal limits in all 50 US states.
- They have ultra-smooth mandrel bends that give power and flow.
- The system has been manufactured with computer-controlled CNC thanks to which it has perfect fit.
Now, let’s answer some of the popular questions we keep receiving about Mustang GT and exhaust systems.
1) Do all 2019 Mustang GT have active exhaust?
Yes, all of them have active exhaust with a variety of features such as EcoBoost and 4 different settings.
2) Does FlowMaster exhaust increase the horsepower?
Yes, you can expect a 15-HP increase in all wheels.
3) Is a CatBack exhaust worth it?
We recommend the CatBack exhaust especially if the stock allows gas flow without restriction. In this case, you will enjoy more power with a CatBack exhaust.
4) Does slip on exhaust damage engine?
No, it does not. It actually works to improve the efficiency of the engine.
5) Does dual exhaust add horsepower?
Yes, it increases horsepower by enhancing your engine’s ability to function smoothly. It may be worth a purchase if your aim is to increase horsepower.
6) Does a new exhaust improve performance?
A new exhaust is definitely an improvement on an old exhaust. It helps the engine breathe better, allowing better air combustion and creating more power.
7) Is a dual exhaust louder than a single exhaust?
Dual exhaust systems are throatier and louder. They are ideal for car enthusiasts who prefer loud, aggressive sounds.
8) Does bigger exhaust give more power?
If you only use your engine at a very high RPM, a big exhaust will make sense for you. It gives more power but reduces fuel efficiency and maximum torque.
A good exhaust system will support the engine of your Mustang GT and make your ride smooth and fun. It will be aesthetic, aggressive, and performance-enhancing. Make sure you choose the best for your Mustang from the options provided and remember to keep the fitment in mind so that you don’t end up with the wrong system.
If you have any doubts, please do not hesitate to reach us. We are always here to help.